2021 NHL Season Bets
I am so excited to see what the 2021 NHL season has in store
for us. Over the past few weeks, I’ve put out a bunch of takes and bets on the
podcast in an effort to preview the season ahead. For my own sake, and yours, I
am compiling all of my takes and bets into one place so that we can reflect on
what went right or wrong. Maybe we’ll learn something, or at least there will
be accountability, something we don’t have nearly enough of in this world.
First off, all of my player
Over/Under prop bets and leans can be found over on DobberHockey. I ended
up locking in 11 bets. All of my other bets and leans can be found here.
On my awards betting preview podcast with Cam Robinson, we perused the
best bets for the Art Ross, Rocket Richard, Hart and Norris trophies.
My Player Award Picks
Art Ross Pick: Connor McDavid
McDavid topped my projections for the season ahead with 76
points in 52 games. He is also the betting favourite at odds as low as 3/1 to
win the scoring race. Not juicy enough for me to bet.
Art Ross Bet: Elias Pettersson 35/1
I want to believe. It seems a foregone conclusion that
Pettersson will score 100 points in a season. It’s a matter of when. When does
his talent peak, his health hold, his supporting cast support (perhaps even
elevate), his coach provide the minutes, etc? Give Pettersson the
McDavid/Matthews workload and see how much he can score.
My projections have him at 57 points in 53 games, but a
slight uptick in minutes could push him even higher. Then, all it takes is some
injury luck and he might come in as the league’s top scorer.
Rocket Richard Pick: Auston Matthews
It feels a bit silly to pick anyone else but Alexander
Ovechkin, while the reigning, defending, undisputed best goal scorer on Earth
is still playing, but this season promises to be weird. The Canadian Division
should see absurd goal totals. Matthews could win this award in one night shooting
against Mike Smith. Meanwhile, Ovechkin lands in the league’s toughest,
potentially stingiest division in the East. The betting odds reflect this
reality, putting Matthews as a heavy favourite, while Ovechkin comes in at 6/1.
I have Matthews and Ovechkin projected to finish 1-2, neck-and-neck,
at 35 and 34 goals respectively. Given such a tight race, there’s no way I’d
bet Matthews at +350. Not juicy enough.
Rocket Richard Bet: Alexander Ovechkin 6/1
Every year we seem ready to crown a new goal-scoring
champion, meanwhile Ovechkin has won this award in seven of the last 8 seasons.
I can get him at 6/1? Yeah, I’ll take those odds.
Rocket Richard Bet: Jake Guentzel 25/1
Shop around because you’ll find Guentzel somewhere in the range
of 25/1. Why take worse odds when there are better ones out there. 25/1 is the
best I’ve found on Guentzel and it is a worthy long shot bet. He is one of the
league’s most efficient goal scorers, getting into knife-fighting range despite
his slight frame. He doesn’t score from distance the way that Matthews and
Ovechkin can, which is why this is a long shot, but an expert at finding soft
spots around the net could get hot in a shortened season. I have him projected
for 26 goals in 53 games, a top-10 mark. If he can stay healthy and get some
bounces that could push higher putting him in the mix by season’s end, which is
where I want to be.
Hart Trophy Pick: Connor McDavid
In a normal year, I’d be leaning to Nathan MacKinnon who has
been knocking on the door the past couple of seasons. He was my pick last
season, and he was a finalist for the award. Then, he went into the bubble and
nearly dragged the Avalanche to the Conference Finals. He is starring in
Timmies commercials with Sidney Crosby. There is online discourse about him
overtaking McDavid for “best player in the game”. People are ready to vote for
MacKinnon, even just to validate the argument.
They have a great case! As I said, I picked him for last
year’s Hart.
My concern, are people going to watch MacKinnon this year?
Who is staying up to watch the Avalanche run over the Los Angeles Kings on a
sleepy Tuesday night?
MacKinnon is capable of sweeping the awards. He could win
the Art Ross, the Rocket and the Avalanche could cruise to a first place
finish. People would hand him the Hart whether they watched him or not. They’ll
surely have seen his highlights. Anything short of that type of sweep, however,
and I worry he loses this narrative award to someone playing more games in
prime time.
People would LOVE to give this to someone in a big market.
You don’t think voters are itching to give Crosby one more MVP award? You don’t
think they’d vote for a vintage Carey Price performance? You don’t think they’d
just as soon see McDavid win some more hardware?
More often than not, the Art Ross and the Hart go hand in
hand. If I’ve got McDavid winning the scoring race, then I’ve got him as my
Hart favourite as well.
Hart Trophy Bet: No Bet
I didn’t find anything I quite liked enough. McDavid at
around 4/1 and MacKinnon at around 5/1 aren’t quite juicy enough for a
narrative award. Pettersson at 18/1 is intriguing, but I’d rather have him at
35/1 for the Art Ross. Crosby at 25/1 is tasty, but I don’t love it. Jack
Eichel at 20/1 would be intriguing if the Sabres were in a division where you
could realistically see them sneaking into a playoff spot. I’m just staying
away from this one.
Norris Trophy Pick: Dougie Hamilton
Hamilton was well on his way to contending for this trophy
last season before a knee injury cost him a third of the season. The Hurricanes
should only be better, and perhaps contend for the Central Division crown (more
on that later). Hamilton will get a major offensive push and paired with Norris
candidate Jaccob Slavin should run over opponents. Hamilton as a top-3
defenseman scorer, with a ludicrous plus/minus (voters still look at it so
bettors should too) on a winning team should be a shoo-in for Norris contention.
Norris Trophy Bet: Dougie Hamilton 8/1
I like this so much that I am betting it. You’ll have to
shop around to find the right odds. I’m not sure I’d bet it at 6/1 which you’ll
find on some sites.
Norris Trophy Bet: Morgan Rielly 25/1
I also love this as a long shot option. Rielly should get
his PP1 usage back, which means POINTS. He’s proven capable of scoring at a
point-per-game pace just a couple of years back and could do so again. I have
him cautiously projected for 39 points in 52 games, but could easily see him
score 50 points this season, which would put him in the Norris hunt.
This being a narrative award, it does hurt Rielly’s cause
that he’s never been viewed as strong defensively, but if the Leafs run over
the Canadian Division, I could see all the articles fawning over Rielly’s evolved
game.
Calder Trophy Pick: Igor Shesterkin 3/1
Shesterkin is in the mix as the betting favourite alongside
Alexis Lafreniere and Kirill Kaprizov at similar odds. They are worthy
favourites for a reason. Lafreniere is an NHL ready star of a #1 pick. Kaprizov
spent half a decade percolating in the worlds second best league and arrives
ready to pop. Shesterkin did similarly and flashed Vezina potential in 12 NHL
games.
If Shesterkin proves himself a legitimate starter it’ll be
hard to deny him this award. That said, I wouldn’t bet it at these odds.
Calder Trophy Bet: Ilya Sorokin 25/1
You may find slightly better odds than this if you shop
around, but I locked this in back in November when I did the Calder Betting
Preview with Pete Harling:
Sorokin has a roadblock in Semyon Varlamov in his path, but
the Barry Trotz system is a proven goldmine for goaltending, and he comes in
with as much pedigree as Shesterkin. Given Varlamov’s injury history, would you
be shocked to see a ton of Sorokin?
I also favour the Islanders to make the playoffs over the
Rangers, so for the “goalie drags team to playoffs narrative” I’d rather bet on
Sorokin at these odds than Shesterkin at a sixth of the payout.
*
On the Team Totals Mega Preview with Sean Tierney we went through
every NHL team’s point total Over/Under and locked in a few bets:
Here are all of my leans and bets:
|
Over/Under |
82-game |
Pick |
Lock? |
|
|
Colorado
Avalanche |
76.5 |
112 |
UNDER |
YES |
|
Tampa Bay
Lightning |
74.5 |
110 |
UNDER |
|
|
Vegas Golden
Knights |
74.5 |
110 |
OVER |
|
|
Toronto Maple
Leafs |
73.5 |
108 |
UNDER |
|
|
Boston Bruins |
70.5 |
104 |
UNDER |
|
|
Carolina
Hurricanes |
70.5 |
104 |
OVER |
|
|
St. Louis
Blues |
69.5 |
102 |
UNDER |
|
|
Philadelphia
Flyers |
67.5 |
99 |
UNDER |
|
|
Pittsburgh
Penguins |
67.5 |
99 |
OVER |
|
|
Dallas Stars |
65.5 |
96 |
OVER |
|
|
Nashville
Predators |
65.5 |
96 |
UNDER |
YES |
|
Calgary
Flames |
65.5 |
96 |
UNDER |
|
|
Edmonton
Oilers |
65.5 |
96 |
UNDER |
|
|
Montreal
Canadiens |
64.5 |
95 |
OVER |
YES |
|
Columbus Blue
Jackets |
64.5 |
95 |
OVER |
|
|
Washington
Capitals |
63.5 |
93 |
OVER |
|
|
Minnesota
Wild |
62.5 |
92 |
UNDER |
YES |
|
New York
Islanders |
61.5 |
91 |
OVER |
|
|
New York
Rangers |
61.5 |
91 |
UNDER |
|
|
Vancouver
Canucks |
61.5 |
91 |
UNDER |
|
|
Winnipeg Jets |
59.5 |
88 |
UNDER |
|
|
Arizona
Coyotes |
58.5 |
86 |
OVER |
|
|
Buffalo
Sabres |
56.5 |
83 |
UNDER |
|
|
Anaheim Ducks |
55.5 |
82 |
UNDER |
|
|
San Jose
Sharks |
53.5 |
79 |
UNDER |
|
|
Chicago
Blackhawks |
52.5 |
77 |
UNDER |
|
|
New Jersey
Devils |
51.5 |
76 |
UNDER |
|
|
Los Angeles
Kings |
49.5 |
73 |
OVER |
|
|
Ottawa
Senators |
47.5 |
70 |
OVER |
|
|
Detroit Red
Wings |
42.5 |
63 |
OVER |
YES |
On the Power Rankings episode with Alex MacLean we laid out
our rankings of various teams:
What we didn’t do, and I haven’t done yet is lay out my
picks for division winners, and Stanley Cup favourites so I will do that here.
North Division Winner: Toronto Maple Leafs
No surprise here. The Leafs are heavy favourites. They are
the most complete team and only real Cup contender in this division. They can
match the star power in Edmonton and Vancouver. They should match the
goaltending in Winnipeg, Calgary and Montreal. For all the fervor about their
defense corps, they have fewer questions on the blue line than any Canadian
team. They should run away with this thing.
At around even odds, they are one of the clearest favourites
to win a division in all the NHL. Not juicy enough to bet, but obvious enough
to pick.
North Division Bet: No Bet
I like Montreal the most to emerge from the thicket that is
the rest of the Canadian Division, but at around 4/1, it isn’t tasty enough to
bet. This is a high floor, lower ceiling team.
Every other team you could bet on has these massive flaws. I’ll
steer clear of this.
East Division Winner: Boston Bruins
This is the toughest division to pick, with every team in the
division fancying themselves a playoff team. I’m leaning on the defensive infrastructure
with Patrice Bergeron, Charlie McAvoy and the league’s best tandem in Tuukka
Rask and Jaroslav Halak. I’m not so in love with this to bet it though.
East Division Bet: No Bet
The betting market is reflecting the uncertainty of this
division quite well. The Bruins are the favourites at around +250, but five
other teams come in at 7/1 or below for the division title. Is Buffalo juicy
enough at around 15/1 to take a long shot? Maybe, but I have a hard time
betting this team when I like six other teams more.
Central Division Winner: Tampa Bay Lightning
Another Division, another lean towards the betting favourite
from your guy Steve. Even after losing MVP candidate Nikita Kucherov for the
season, the Tampa Bay Lightning come in as the favourites. Maybe that’s because
no other team can lose an MVP in Kucherov and roll in another one in Steven
Stamkos. What a luxury.
Central Division Bet: Carolina Hurricanes 4/1
This bet is already seeing some action. The Hurricanes are sharing
the division with both of last season’s Stanley Cup finalists, but those teams
are feeling the pain of their long playoff runs having lost key pieces to
injury. That puts the rising Hurricanes in a good spot.
Their system already sets them up for success running over
weaker teams with puck possession. Their young talent is improving giving them
the type of finishing needed to be a true contender. Questions in goal exist,
but the rest of the roster is ready to contend.
West Division Winner: Colorado Avalanche
I’m taking all the front runners and I don’t care. The
Avalanche were stacked and then added Brandon Saad and Devon Toews. This team
is ludicrous.
West Division Bet: No Bet
The Avalanche are coming in at even odds, which I wouldn’t
bet. Vegas isn’t far behind at around 2/1. I’d bet Vegas if the odds were
juicier, say 4/1. That’d be enough of an edge to go against the favourites.
After all, Vegas is a juggernaut in their own right.
Stanley Cup Winner: Colorado Avalanche
Like I said above, this team is stacked. I bet the Avalanche
would have made the Cup Final had they not lost both Philipp Grubauer and Pavel
Francouz to injury in the bubble. They damn near beat the Stars with Michael
Hutchinson! They’ve only improved and sit in a weak division where they are a
virtual lock to make the playoffs. What happens from there is anyone’s guess,
but the Avalanche have cracked their Cup window wide open like Tampa Bay a few
years back. It seems a matter of when, not if, they hoist the Stanley Cup.
However, as the betting favourites at around 6/1, I’m not betting this. Just
wait for the playoffs and if no major injuries bet the Avalanche each series
and roll the money over.
Stanley Cup Bet: Carolina Hurricanes 20/1
Shop around to find the best odds, but be warned this line
has gotten a ton of action, and appears to be unavailable anywhere. At one
point you could have gotten them at 25/1 but that’s long gone.
This marks my third season betting on the Hurricanes
breakout. A couple of years ago, back when they were a 50/1 long shot, I was
able to hedge against the Hurricanes in the Conference Final and earn a profit.
I wasn’t as fortunate on them at 30/1 last season. Depending on how the bracket
shakes out the Hurricanes may not have to face the Bruins, who have ousted them
the last two playoffs.
I love this team on the rise and am having fun having a
stake in their success.
Comments
Post a Comment